Introduction
Great Houses
   Bloxworth House
   Melbury House
   Purse Caundle
   Wimborne St.Giles
   Stalbridge Park
   Parnham House
   Godlingston Manor
   Whatcombe House
Abbeys, Minsters
Stone Crosses
Dorset by Artists
Ancient Dorset
Old Portland
Old Weymouth
Old Wareham
Old Lyme
Old Bournemouth
Old Blandford
Old Sturminster
 
Dorsetshire.com
Maps
 
Share this page
 
Site Profile
Contact
Legal
low-graphics
 

Wimborne St.Giles
>  larger version
Two miles south-west of Cranborne lies the mansion at Wimborne St. Giles. This 1896 view betrays little of the age of the house, which was begun in 1651 by Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper, later to become first Earl of Shaftesbury.
Before this, however, the Malmayne family were established and the manor passed to the Plecys, whose male line became extinct towards the end of the fourteenth century. The heiress married Sir John Hamely, but there were no children and the property went to Sir John's daughter, who married Robert Ashley. The house has belonged to the Ashleys and Ashley Coopers ever since.
>  larger version
>  larger version
Two rooms inside the mansion, early 20th century
>  larger version
>  larger version
The 1930 views of both the house and gardens.
>  larger version
The church and almshouses adjacent to the mansion, 1920's. The almshouses were built in 1624 by Sir Anthony Ashley.