Introduction
Great Houses
   Bloxworth House
   Melbury House
   Purse Caundle
   Wimborne St.Giles
   Stalbridge Park
   Parnham House
   Godlingston Manor
   Whatcombe House
Abbeys, Minsters
Stone Crosses
Dorset by Artists
Ancient Dorset
Old Portland
Old Weymouth
Old Wareham
Old Lyme
Old Bournemouth
Old Blandford
Old Sturminster
 
Dorsetshire.com
Maps
 
Share this page
 
Site Profile
Contact
Legal
low-graphics
 

Bloxworth House
>  larger version
This view (c.1930) of the fine Jacobean house on Hardy's Egdon Heath, six miles north-west of Wareham. The name comes from Bloca's Worth. The manor belonged to the monks of Cerne for centuries until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in c. 1536. It was sold for £640 to Gentlemen Richard Savage and George Strangways. Subsequently purchased by Sir John Trenchard, passing to his son George who sold it to his son-in-law Jocelyn Pickard, it passed to the Pickard-Cambridge family.
>  larger version
Drawing by Sidney Heath, c.1900
>  larger version
This nice drawing by Sidney Heath shows the house, the gardener's cottage, the 'Philip and Joanna' bowl and the stone above the stables, dated 1649.